Wednesday 11 November 2015

book sculpture

It was a long time ago now that I first fell in love with making sculptures from books. From the first time I folded the pages of an old yellowing book, I was hooked.

I love the organic flow of book sculptures. Many I have made remind me of sea creatures, sea urchins and coral.

Colouring the pages and photographing the finished pieces is all part of the process. With photography I get to explore the pieces their shadow and light their colour shape and their texture. For me this is a really enjoyably exploration.

Making with old books holds a lot of different meaning. Working with words is significant to me because I'm dyslexic, reading and writing grammar and spelling are all a challenge to me yet I still have a massive place in my heart for the beauty of words, The magic of communication, story writing, poetry and song's.

Also for me the process of folding throws up quite a few feelings. OCD and addiction being a few. We are creatures of habit and are wired to enjoy repetition, it helps us to learn, which is great but suffering the torment of OCD and having experience with people close to me who have struggled with alcohol addiction I see repetition has positives and negatives. I am really interested in philosophy and the way we work and I think about these things as I make.

My other reason for loving book sculpture is the recycling aspect. I love to go to the shop at the tip or my local recycle centre and buy a few tatty books with rips and pages missing and bringing them home to give them a new purpose.

Below is a collection of my work Ill add more soon.



































































































1 comment:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So COOL to see all these